Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Bringing America to Africa and other Goodness

This is a picture from my front porch looking into my compound, my compound is huge though it is oddly shaped so it is difficult to get the whole picture of it.
It is sometimes difficult to get Gambians to smile when you take their pictures but this is never a problem for Lala who loves to laugh and smile all the time.

I decided to see if Gambian children would like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches... they were only mildly impressed. They ate them but I think that had more to do with the fact that I made them than the fact that they liked it. I am contemplating mac and cheese as another American classic to try out on them soon. Will keep you posted on how it goes.

Lala eating her PB&J she was not a fan, she took two bites and passed it off to one of the other children. Oh well, not everyone can appreciate a good PB&J.

The children do however love popcorn, I make them kettle corn on a regular basis and they go crazy. The last time I made it I was mobbed, they started attacking each other and eventually I had to break up a fist fight and pass it out to them so they would stop beating each other to try and get at it.

This was just a pretty butterfly that landed in my backyard and hung out for a while. So pretty. My backyard also has a ton of really pretty birds... they are hard to get pictures of.

No comments:

Post a Comment